A New Years Eve Appetizer That Will Get 2017 Off To A Healthy Start.
As we prepare to release and let go of 2016, we can embrace the new year with a fresh start and all its possibilities. The new year is a good time to let go of old stories and step into new intentions for the future with hopefulness and enthusiasm.
Many of us set resolutions around diet and health. Just one healthy meal and we feel different, right? A week of healthy meals and we feel remarkably different. Imagine one year of eating well. Imagine one year of eating poorly, and we go in two very different directions.
I asked myself today, what are 2 or 3 things I could do in the new year to improve my diet and lifestyle. I came up with a few thing immediately. No one needs to tell us to drink more water, get more sleep, move a little more and eat more fruits and vegetables. We instinctively know how to care for ourselves.
I just created this recipe yesterday for a festive and delicious way to celebrate the incoming year with a healthy start! I wanted to share it with all of you! Wishing everyone more self care, self honor and self love in 2017! xx nk
Blini with Creme Fraiche and Black Truffle Mushroom Caviar
1/2 C coconut milk or almond milk
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs flax seeds
3/4 C plus 2 Tbs warm water
1 Tbs date sugar
3/4 C buckwheat flour
1/2 C quinoa flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. raw honey, optional
- In a small bowl, combine coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for one hour at room temp.
- In another small bowl, combine water, flax seeds, and date sugar. Set aside for one hour at room temp.
- For flours: if you use sprouted buckwheat groats and sprouted quinoa seeds, grind into flour in a coffee / spice grinder until powdered into a fine flour.
- Pour the water/flax seed mixture into a blender and blend until the flax seeds are liquified.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well/birds nest.
- Add all remaining wet ingredients, including the milk mixture and the water mixture in the well.
- With a large spoon, mix batter gently until it's a thin pancake batter consistency.
- Place a large non stick skillet on medium heat and spray pan with olive oil.
- Using a teaspoon or mini ice cream scooper, portion a quarter size amount of batter on the pan. Do not flip the mini pancakes until they are a bit bubbly and golden brown.
- Makes about 100 blinis. I watched sex and the city (the movie) to keep me company while I cooked all these blinis.
Cashew Creme Fraiche
1 C raw cashews, soaked in water for one hour and rined well in a strainer
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 C plus 2 Tbs spring water
1/2 tsp salt
1 probiotic capsule,
- In a blender combine the rinsed and soaked cashews and only 1/4 C of the water, plus all other ingredients exceptprobiotic pill.
- Open the probiotic capsule and pour the powder in the blender
- Blend all ingredients. If it's too dry, which it probalbly will be, add the other 2 Tbs water. The mixture should be the consistency of smooth sour cream.
- Taste and add more lemon or salt if necessary.
- Refrigerate and it will thicken a bit.
Black Truffle and Mushroom Sauce
I bought a jar of this "caviar" replacement at a gourmet grocery called Graces in New York. There were a few different brands but some contained dairy/parmesan cheese and this brand (Delicious & Sons) did not. I think this sauce is meant for pasta but it repurposes perfectly as caviar.
- Lay the blinis on a platter
- Dot with creme fraiche
- Top with a good plunk of truffe mushroom sauce.
- Spirinkle sea salt and a few turns of black pepper over the platter.
HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERONE!!!