Low in calories and high in nutrients, lentils are a great source of vitamin B1, B6, B12, protein, dietary fiber and plenty of minerals such as copper, potassium, zinc, phosphorus, and manganese.
While raw food is my preferred mainstay when winter arrives there's nothing I love to eat more than warm soup to warm the body and soul.
1 C fresh mixed herbs (tarragon, rosemary, bay leaf, basil, mint)
4 C water
1 C lentils
1 C each, onion, celery, carrots
2 Tbs olive oil
1 C fresh raw sprouted peas, lentils, beans mixed, optional
Large pinch sea salt, black pepper & red pepper flakes
- Simmer 4 cups water and 1 C fresh herbs for 1 hour to make an herb tea.
- Strain out all herbs and reserve tea.
- Sauté mirepoix, (celery, onion & carrots) in olive oil until soft.
- Add tea and lentils to the mirepoix.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until lentils are soft. Add more water if needed.
- Add raw sprouted pea mix to the pot and cook only until al dente.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with lots of minced fresh herbs mixed in just before serving.