A Cauliflower Crust Pizza Recipe That is Dairy and Egg Free. Oh, and So Delicious.
Cauliflower is a nutritionally dense cruciferous vegetable. It makes a remarkably delicious, healthy, low calorie crust for pizza. Here are a few of the important health benefits of cauliflower and other veggies in the cruciferous family like broccoli, cabbage, arugula, kale, bok choy and watercress:
- Cancer fighting
- Boost heart health
- Boosts brain health
- Antioxidant and phytonutrients galore
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
One serving of cauliflower covers about 77 percent of our daily vitamin C needs.
It's also a good source of vitamin K, protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, and manganese.
Not to mention that cruciferous vegetables contain cancer fighting properties,
Whoever invented the cauliflower crust, bravo! Most cauliflower crust recipes have eggs and dairy, and I have found very few good vegan versions out there, so I created my own to share with you. Cauliflower crust isn't going to be chewy and bendy like bread crusts, but in many ways it's so much more flavorful. It's a crispy and delicious delivery vehicle for the yummy sauce or pesto and all the colorful toppings.
Cauliflower Crust Ingredients
1 head cauliflower
1/4 C nutritional yeast
1/4 C chia flour
2 Tbs. almond meal
1 Tbs. flax meal
1/4 C minced fresh herbs
1/4 C flax gel (see recipe below)
pinch sea salt
Flax Gel Ingredients / Process
- Soak 1/4 C golden flax seeds for at least 3 hours in the fridge until a thick gel develops.
- Pour seeds through a sieve over a small bowl, using a spoon to stir the seeds and gel through the sieve, until all the egg yolk like gel strains into the bowl.
(the remaining flax seeds can be saved for another recipe or tossed)
1/4 C tomato sauce
1/2 tomato slices
5 shiitake mushrooms, sauteed and sliced
1/4 red pepper sliced and sauteed
Handful of raw enoki mushrooms
3 artichoke heats, sliced
1 Tsp. nutritional yeast
2 Tbs. fresh Italian herbs
Anything else you want to add!
- Rough chop cauliflower.
- Using a food processor, process until cauliflower becomes a rice-like texture
- Place in a large bowl and add all remaining ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly with a spoon.
- Cut a large sheet of parchment paper and place over a baking sheet.
- Spoon mixture onto parchment paper.
- Create a round 1/4 inch crust.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until firm and browned.
- Flip over onto baking sheet (carefully) using the parchment paper to flip.
- Bake 10 more minutes or until browned and firmer.
- Remove from oven and layer with tomato sauce and add toppings of your choice. (raw or sauteed veggies, vegan cheese, etc.)
- *IMPORTANT: let the crust cool for at least 10-15 minutes to firm the crust before you slice it or remove it from the tray or it will fall apart.
ENJOY YOUR PIZZA PARTY! And be your healthiest you! xx Nicolle